DES Update on Aurora Hills Roof Replacement
UPDATE: As of Dec. 5, all the non-friable asbestos has been removed from the roof and the roof replacement is proceeding as scheduled.A Message from Arlington County Department of Environmental ServicesAurora Hills Center Roof Replacement
The Arlington County Department of Environmental Services (DES) will be replacing the roof of the Aurora Hills Center, which includes the Aurora Hills Branch Library, a Department of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources community center, and the Fire Department?s former Station 5 (now used for storage). Some materials on the existing roof contain a small amount of non-friable asbestos fibers, which is often found in sealants and roofing materials in older buildings. DES has contracted with an asbestos inspection and abatement firm to test and remove the material prior to beginning the roof replacement.
Beginning Sunday, November 28th, the contractor will begin the process of removing the asbestos containing roof material. This work is expected to last approximately one week. Here is what you need to know:
- The asbestos removal portion of the project will pose NO risk to patrons or people passing by the building.
- The asbestos on the building is non-friable, which means it is encased in a sealant and not airborne.
- The removal and disposal of this material will be handled by licensed, trained professionals.
- The asbestos removal plan developed by DES staff meets all local, state and federal environmental and safety regulations.
- Per federal EPA regulations, workers will wear appropriate personal protective equipment when handling the asbestos containing material.
Once the asbestos removal and disposal are completed, DES will start the reroofing process.
If you have questions or concerns about this project, please contact the DES Project Manager, Jacob M. Fayad, at (703) 228-4829 or [email protected]
- Aurora Hills Open House!
You're invited to the Grand Opening of the newly renovated and super comfy Aurora Hills Branch Library and Community Center Lobby - next Wednesday, Aug. 24 from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. View the art, visit the Library and then sit and read a...
- Improvements Set For Columbia Pike Branch Building
Arlington Public Schools, owner of the Career Center, which is home to the Columbia Pike Branch Library, will be working on a number of improvements to the facility over the coming months. These will include: Replacement of all Library and Career Center...
- Central Library Goes Solar
Beginning the first week of June, Arlington County?s Department of Environmental Services will install solar panels on the roof of the Central Library to help reduce the facility?s "peak demand" energy usage, offset a portion of its electricity consumption,...
- Repairs For Central Library Roof, Beams
Update 5/20: The carpeting around the work areas will be reinstalled next week, and the Large Type books and Bibliographies will soon after return to their normal shelves. Update 5/3: Work is currently expected to be complete by the middle of next week...
- Aurora Hills Branch Library Closed Thursday, Friday
Updated 1-6: The Aurora Hills Branch Library will remain closed on Friday, Jan. 7 because of a problem with the heating system. The County's Department of Environmental Services is arranging to have temporary heating equipment in place so the building...